Christmas Cookies: Cinnamon Stars
One of the traditional German Christmas cookies is Cinnamon Stars. They are easy to bake, yummi to eat and … they are made for cookie cutters, which means, kids love them. The tradition form of these cookies is the star, but the dough is okay for most other cookie cutters.
Ingredients for cinamon stars
Makes around 50 stars
- 250 g powders sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 350 g ground almonds
- parchment paper
Step by step guide to cinnamon stars
- Sieve the powdered sugar.
- Whip the egg whites with a little salt until they are fluffy and soft peaks have formed. Never whipped an egg before? Learn all about beating the perfect egg white here.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar until you have a creamy, thick white mass.
- Set about 6 to 8 tablespoons aside for later.
- Mix the almonds with the cinnamon. Then slowly fold the egg white into the almonds.
- Preheat the oven to 125°c circulating air (this is the sign you are looking for on the oven ).
- Put the dough into the fridge for about 30 minutes to let it cool down.
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar on the kitchen counter and then roll out the down to be about 0.5 cm thick.
- Enjoy cutting the cookies into shapes.
- Set the cookies on the parchment paper. Leave some space between the cookies as they do spread apart a little when they bake.
- Coat the cookies with the egg white-sugar-mixture.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool down before enjoying them.